01535 667605

Student FAQs Logo Student FAQs

Student Immigration FAQs

We have put together a collection of Frequently Asked Questions for Students. If you cannot find the answer you are looking for, please contact us and we will assist you.

What type of student visas are there?

Tier 4 (General) for full time students over the age of 16; Tier 4 (Child) for students aged 4 to 18; Student Visit visas – for short term or English language courses

Why is it called Tier 4?

There are 5 parts or “Tiers” to the UK’s Point Based System. All student applications are made through the fourth Tier – hence Tier 4.

Can anyone apply for a Tier 4 visa?

Yes – as long as you meet the entrance requirement of the educational institution you are applying to, are a genuine student and meet any English language requirements that are needed. You can only apply to and attend those educational institutions that hold a Tier 4 licence.

What funds or finance will I need?

You will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover a full year’s fees and, in some cases, a notional “maintenance” requirement will be required. This can sometimes be confusing and you may need advice.

What happens if my application is refused?

You have the opportunity to submit an Administrative Review if the refusal is incorrect – but you cannot introduce any new evidence. It is best to put the time and effort into ensuring that your application is correct in the first instance.

How long can I stay in the UK?

A visa is issued for the length of course that you are undertaking.

Can I work in the UK whilst I am studying?

Students (not children) are generally allowed to work, depending on which educational institution they are attending, for some time during term time and out of term time. The visa or biometric card will tell you what hours – if any – you are permitted to work.

If my visa does not say that I can work, can I work anyway?

Absolutely not! It is an offence to work when you are not permitted to do so and could lead to your removal from the UK and a ban on re-entering the UK in the future.

Can I extend my visa in the UK?

Generally, yes you can. Applications can either be made by post or in-person. A postal application can take several weeks to process and during that time, you would be unable to travel. An in-person application is more expensive but is processed very quickly.

Is there a time when I can’t extend my visa in the UK?

Yes. If there are more 28 days between the expiry of your visa and the start of a new course. In this situation, you must leave the UK to make a new application.

If I enter as a student visitor, can I change my visa to a Tier 4 student visa?

Not in the UK. You would have to leave the UK and make a Tier 4 application from home.

If I get to my school / college or university and find that it’s not the place for me, can I change my sponsor?

If you meet the entrance requirements of your new school or college, you can transfer from one to another. However, you will have to make a new application.